I am a Partner with Reach and within that role I am also a Registered Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Coach, Supervisor and Trainer.
With over 35 years’ experience in general and mental health nursing, health and social care roles in the public, private and voluntary sectors, including counselling, psychotherapy, supervision, weight management, training, coaching, business, management and leadership positions, my passion for life drives everything I do.
I am a Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and have the following qualifications –
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling (BACP accredited course, Iron Mill College, Exeter)
- Certificate in Holistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (NCP accredited course, The Reach Approach, West Midlands)
- Certificate in Couples and Relationship Counselling (Exeter & East Devon Counselling Training)
- Master of Business Administration (Plymouth University)
As part of my MBA I completed a working with national cultural differences course in France at L’ecole Superieur de Commerce, Toulouse’s Business School, which is an Equis accredited academic institution. This has helped inform my approach to cultural issues.
- First Class BSc (Honours) in Health Studies (Nursing), including communication, counselling & supervision skills & health education (Plymouth University)
- Diploma in Nursing Studies (Plymouth University)
- I am a qualified 1st level general and mental health nurse, having completed a 4-year integrated holistic course at The Royal London Hospital, which set the scene for an integrative working philosophy
- During my nursing career, I completed many short courses and training sessions which included person centred therapy; group therapy; family therapy; solution focused therapy; brief therapy; motivational interviewing to enable behaviour change; mindfulness and cognitive behaviour therapy.
- In March 2015, I completed a 2-day problem gambling counselling course with Gamcare, to equip me to work with individuals & their families, who have a serious problem with gambling. I have completed 1 day annual refresher courses in May 2016 and May 2017. This part of my service is provided free of charge.
- In June 2017, I completed a Level 1 & 2 Safeguarding Adults e-learning course & a Level 1, 2 & 3 Safeguarding Children e-learning course with Skills for Health (certificates valid for 3 years).
I have wide experience of working with a range of client groups, utilising counselling skills with many different problems, including nursing people with cancer and a variety of physical health problems; acute adult inpatient and community mental health nursing – nursing people with a variety of acute problems; home treatment with adults in mental health crisis; assertive outreach work with adults with severe mental illness or personality disorder, self-harm, homelessness and substance abuse. Some of this work has been with deprived communities, with people from a variety of different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. I have over 30 years experience of supervising colleagues' work. I have worked in senior management in the NHS, project leading on the reorganisation of mental health services. I was also mental health clinical lead for NHS Direct in the West Country, helping to develop the service and improve quality of the service provided. I am a qualified Family Nurse, and have worked with first time pregnant teenage young women and their families from early stages of pregnancy until their children are age two, with the aim of improving the health and well-being of hard to reach disadvantaged families and children and prevent social exclusion.
Some of the areas I have also worked with include – abortion, abuse, addiction, anger management, anorexia nervosa, anxiety, bereavement, binge-eating, bipolar disorder/manic depression, bulimia nervosa, bullying, cancer, carer support, child related issues, chronic fatigue/ME, compulsive hoarding, depression, disabilities, domestic violence, eating disorders, emotional abuse, hearing voices, low self-confidence, low self-esteem, obsessive compulsive problems, passive aggressive behaviour, personality issues, physical abuse, post-traumatic stress, postnatal depression, pregnancy and birth problems, relationship issues, seasonal affective problems, self harm, spirituality issues, stress, suicidal thoughts, survivors of sexual abuse, trauma, weight problems, work related stress.
In my 20’s I rowed internationally for Great Britain during the 1980’s, competing in world championships and the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games, which has led me to my interest in sport, coaching and mindfulness in sport.
When I first came across The Reach Approach, at a workshop with Lucinda Drayton, who is also a friend of Reach www.blissfulmusic.com it blew me away. Having walked my own spiritual path, I found the mind-body-spirit-environment connection compelling and wanted to know more. So I joined a Reach group with Lucinda and then decided to take my own personal journey, which has been life-changing. I've subsequently qualified as an integrative counsellor and have trained and continue to train in The Reach Approach. My fascinating journey is on-going and I now feel honoured to be part of this unique organisation, since starting working with Reach in March 2011.